Now that the Kentucky Derby Prep Races are finished it’s time for the “Run for the Roses”!
We’re getting closer and closer to the 144th running of the Kentucky Derby, “Run for the Roses”!! The race is scheduled to go off at 6:50 p.m. EDT on Saturday, May 5th from legendary Churchill Downs in Louisville, KY.
Here’s a look at the entire Kentucky Derby field along with the current morning line odds as of 5/1/2018.
Justify is the early odds-on favorite going off at 3-1 odds followed by the UAE Derby winner Mendelssohn at 5-1 odds.
A couple of notes to ponder concerning this year’s Kentucky Derby, Run for the Roses.
- What the heck is the “Apollo curse” anyway? Well, the last time a horse actually won the Kentucky Derby without having raced as a 2-year old was a horse named Apollo. That was in 1882….yes that’s correct…..1882!!!!
Why is that significant this year? There are two entries in this year’s race that haven’t run as a 2-year old and that’s Justify along with Magnum Moon. Both have a good shot to finally put an end to that curse. In fact, Justify is the early, odds-on favorite to win the 144th running of the Kentucky Derby.
- Speaking of favorites, did you know the post time favorite have won the last five (5) Kentucky Derby races (2013-2017)? You have to go back to 2012 when I’ll Have Another won with 15/1 odds. Will the favorite win for the sixth year in a row or will a longshot shock the field?
- Three out of the last five winners of the Kentucky Derby have also won the Florida Derby in the same year. The 2018 winner of the Florida Derby was Audible.
- And of course the most infamous stat of them all, there’s never been a horse that won the Kentucky Derby out of the #17 post position. That spells trouble for this year’s unlucky entry, Solomini who drew #17.
If you are unable to attend the greatest horse racing event of the year don’t worry you can still place bets on the race. There are many great Online Resources that allow you to get the information you need about the horse’s past performances.
TVG’s Professional Handicappers share their tickets prior to the races so you can bet with the professionals.
Top Online Horse Betting Sites
Both sites are offering Awesome Bonuses if you join up and wager on the Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby Races.
- TVG – Get up to $10 back if the horse you wager on to come in 1st place comes in 2nd or 3rd place. There have to be at least 6 horses in the race to receive the 2nd place cash back and 8 horses for 3rd place. YOU MUST OPT-IN TO PROMOTION.
- Twinspire – Get up to $20 back if the horse you wager on to come in 1st place comes in 2nd place. Advance wagers will not be considered for this offer you have to OPT-IN TO PROMOTION.
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU IN THIS YEARS “RUN FOR THE ROSES”!
Be Sure to Join in and sing “My Old Kentucky Home” song before the Big Race!
“My Old Kentucky Home,” by Stephen Foster — Lyrics
The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home,
Tis summer, the people are gay;
The corn-top’s ripe and the meadow’s in the bloom
While the birds make music all the day.
The young folks roll on the little cabin floor
All merry, all happy and bright;
By’n by hard times comes a knocking at the door
Then my old Kentucky home, Good-night!
Weep no more, my lady.
Oh! Weep no more today!
We will sing one song for the old Kentucky home
For the old Kentucky home, far away.